1. I was provided with a pair of protective safety glasses with polycarbonate lenses (or equivalent) and a laboratory apron. These items will be worn at all times while in the lab.
2. I am familiar with the location and proper operation of laboratory safety equipment, including but not limited to: fire alarms, safety showers, eye wash stations, fire extinguishers, and emergency exits.
3. Safety information will be discussed in lecture and in lab. I understand that additional safety information can be accessed at /content/chemistry-department-safety and that I am responsible for reviewing and abiding by its contents. Furthermore, I realize that I am subject to all of its provisions, whether or not I have chosen to read and understand them.
4. I will protect myself in the laboratory by wearing appropriate clothing. I understand that long pants, shirts with sleeves (i.e. no tank-tops), and shoes with a closed-toe that cover the entire foot are required, and it is recommended to tie back long hair.
5. I will obey all instructions concerning the safe performance of experiments. I will use the hood when required and dispose of all chemicals and other materials as instructed.
6. I will promptly return all chemicals, reagents, and equipment to their appropriate locations when finished, and I will avoid allowing reagents to become contaminated.
7. I will not attempt any unauthorized experiments, nor will I work in the laboratory without proper supervision.
8. I understand that my behavior in the lab is governed by the University's Code of Academic Integrity. Failure to abide by the Chemistry Department’s safety rules and regulations can result in my ejection from the lab.
9. I acknowledge that I have been supplied with a key for a chemistry lab drawer, and I accept responsibility for this key and the contents of this drawer throughout the semester. In addition to the equipment in my drawer, I accept full responsibility for equipment that I check out from the dispensing room, and I understand that I will be held financially responsible for any broken or missing equipment.